I usually don’t pay much attention to IT futurists who like to tell us how IT will look in a few years. I mostly think those articles are written by people who are looking to increase their following or subscribers and are not likely based on real insights. One group I followed years ago wrote about Future IT and while some of the points where great, I thought others were absurd.
But, as I think about IT and where it is going, I think corporate IT is getting smarter and has more options than it has had in the past.
- We can host applications internally or in public clouds or in a blend.
- We can use open source solutions for some parts of the stack.
- We can virtualize services and avoid more and more hardware.
- We can use SaS solutions in some cases.
- We can outsource parts of our service in areas where we don’t want to operate.
I’m not sure we are getting smarter and I’m not sure if we are getting more respect from our business partners, but I do think we have more options than ever before.
What do you think?